Monday, May 24, 2010

Favourite Poem/Song

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost



Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Q1.How are the figurative language used in the poem?


Give the specific word(s), explain what type of figurative language it is and why the poet chose to use this figurative language?


A1. Figurative language is used in this poem to describe the author's emotions and the roads. It is used to describe the author's decision to take the road less travelled by. Symbolism is used, and the poet chose it because it can effectively show the decision the author made as well as the surrounding elements that influenced his decision.


Q2.Tell us why you like this poem in no less than 100 words.


A2. It is because this poem uses strong words and figurative language to convey to us accurately the author's emotions and the turmoils surrounding his decision in that scenario. The stanzas of this poem does not have a regular rhyming pattern, and it uses the free verse. It also uses some alliteration and sensory words, as well as metaphors and similes to more effectively describes the author's decision to take the road less travelled, which in itself is a mighty piece of symbolism that symbolised a moment where the author stood at one of life's greatest crossroads and is forced to make a heart-wrenching decision that may affect his whole life, for the better or worse.

Q3. What are the teacher’s impressions of the students in the poem? Comment on the effectiveness of the strategies used by the teacher to maintain discipline in class. (With Reference to The Lesson by Roger McGough)A3. The teacher sees the students as annoying and disrespectful bastards that needs to be taught a lesson. The teacher also dosen't care for the students and employ an extremelist strategy to counter their repulsiveness. The teacher's strategy has both good and bad points. It can teach the students that the teacher is not to be overlooked and be messed with, but it can also influence the students and let them think that violence is acceptable or at the very least tolerable, so the teacher should not counter violence with more violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment